- Created by: tas.xq
- Created on: 31-03-19 16:19
Favella Bairro is a site and service scheme (local authority provides land and services for residents to build their own homes.
- Example: Complexo de Alemao is a group of favelas in Rio's North zone (with more than 60,000 people) - local authorities here have been responsible for many of the improvements
1 of 3
- Paved and formally named roads
- Access to water and drainage system (improved sanitation)
- Hills secured and people relocated
- New health, leisure and education facilities
- Cable car system (complexo de Alemao)
- Locals have one free return ticket/day
- Access to credit - habitants can improve their homes
- 100% mortgage available for people wanting to buy their home
- Police patrolling community to help reduce crime (PACIFICATION) - 'UPP'
2 of 3
Success or Failure?
- Quality of life, mobility and employment improved (in the favelas)
- budget of $1 billion not able to cover all other favelas
- Newly built infrastructured not being maintained
- Residents dont have skills and resources to make repairs themselves
- Training needed to improve literacy and employment
- Rents+ in improved favelas
- poorer people don't benefit (worse off)
3 of 3