Sport England is the government agency that is responsible for developing a world-class community sports system. It's involved in the World Class programme, academies and institutes with sport college status. They invest National Lottery and Exchequer funding in organisations and projects that will grow and sustain participation in grassroots sport and create opportunities for people to excel at their chosen sport.
- They work in partnership with UK Sport, which has responsibility for elite success, and the Youth Sport Trust, which is focused on PE and school sport.
- Their focus is around three outcomes - growing and sustaining the numbers of people taking part in sport and improving talent development to help more people excel.
Grow:One million people taking part in more sport. More children and young people taking part in five hours of PE and sport a week
Sustain: More people satisfied with their sporting experience. 25% fewer 16-18 year olds dropping out of at least nine sports.
Excel: Improved talent development in at least 25 sports
Sportscoach UK provides a range of educational and advisory services for all coaches, and works alongside the award schemes of the individual governing bodies.
- Runs the 16 national coaching centres which are primarily based in institutions of higher education.
- Lead and develop the national standards
- work with organisations such as local authorities, national governing bodies, the British Olympic Association and higher education to improve the standards and professional development of coaches
- provide high quality education programmes, products and services such as coahing literature, videos, seminarsand worksheets, factsheets and databases.