Concerned with encouraging people not to take drugs in the first place.
It is achieved through educating potential abusers about the risk of illicit drug use- both medical and criminal risks.
It is acknowledged that primary prevention is the idea that should be pursued- (but is it pursued?)
Helping people who are abusing illicit drugs to stop.
This may be achieved in a wide variety of ways:
- Pamphlets on how to cope with detoxification in private.
- Drug free counselling.
- Rehabilitation programmes.
Deals with those who are unwilling or unable to stop their drug abuse.
Aims to reduce the harmful effects of their behaviour on themselves and other people.
- Limiting/ minimising some of the worst effects of drug abuse.
- Limit the extent of criminal behaviour.
- Providing infornation and education.
- Substitute drugs, syringes etc