The Philippines General facts & why it's a disaste
- An arc island in south east Asia.
- Made up of 7,000 islands.
- Population of 91 million in 2007
- Lies in typhoon belt.
- Astride an active plate boundary
- On a destructive plate boundary - the philippines plate is being subducted beneath the eurasaian plate.
- Tropical monsoon climate - heavy rainfall.
- Prone to landslides due to combination of heavy rainfall, deforrestation and flooding.
- Lower middle income country.
- Average population densities - 240 people per km2 - high.
- Population density for megacity malina - 2,000 peopler per km2
- Vunerable population- poor & live near the coast.
- Vunerable to locally generated tsunamis and typhoon-generated storms.
- 74% of it's population is vulnerable.
1 of 7
Mount Pinatubo - 12th June 1991
- Biggest eruption in 50 years - in the world.
- 10km eclusion zone set up around Pinatubo which was then extended to 30km.
- Two weeks before erruption, they produced a video outlining risks of pyroclastic flow and lahars.
- By 9th of june 1991 - 58,000 people evacuated. Reaching 200,000 by 12th june.
- First erruption 12th june 1991 caused a cloud of ash 20km into the atmosphere.
- Second erruption 15th june 1991 - dome on the side of the volcano collapsed, creating pyroclastic blast and huge lahars.
- Death and injury toll just 4,300 people.
- 350 people died, including 77 in the lahars that occured.
- Some evacuees died in camps - exposed to disease.
- 80,000 hectares of farmland buried by ash - disrupting livelihoods of 500,000 farmers and their families.
- Economic losses of $710 million - agriculture and property mainly.
2 of 7
Management & forecasting.
- National Disaster co-ordinating council.
- Philippine atmospheric,geogphysical and astronomical services.
- Philippine institute of volcanology and seismology.
- Land-use planning and building regulation, and structural progrrammes of defences help people to survive the huge range of hazards facing them.
3 of 7
The California General facts & why it's a disaster
- population of nearly 40 million.
- 6th largest world economy.
- per capita incomes of over $65,000.
- suffers from : earthquakes,river flooding,coastal flooding,drought,wildfires/bushfires,landslides/mudslides/fog and smog.
- Hazard zone concerntrated around san andreas fault.
- Ifluencing factors: Plate techtonics and climate patterns (El Nino & La Nina)
- San Andreas fault - conservative plate boundary.
- Conservstive plate boundary between - North american plate and pacific plate.
- El Nino - increases sub-tropical storms - increased landslides.
- La Nina - increases drought - increases risk of bushfires.
4 of 7
1994- Northridge earthquake LA
- 17th of January 1994 4:31 am.
- Magnitude - 6.7.
- Many thousands of aftershocks during following weeks - causing more damage.
- 57 people died, 1500 were seriously injured.
- 9000 homes and businesses with out electricity for several days.
- 20,000 homes and businesses without gas.
- 48,500 people without water.
- freeways damaged - causing 30km of traffic.
5 of 7
Management and forecasting.
- Insure properties against earthquake damage.
- Educated in schools.
- Quick evacuation programmes.
6 of 7
7 of 7
Similar Geography resources: