WHAT ARE THE TWO TYPES OF DAY CARE?
HOW HAS CLARKE-STEWART SHOW DAY CARE HAD A POSITIVE EFFCT ON PEER RELATIONS?
HOW HAS ANDERSON SHOWN DAY CARE HAS A POSITVE EFFECT ON PEER RELATION?
HOW HAS DILALLA SHOW DAY CARE HAS A NEGATIVE EFFCT ON PEER RELATIONS?
- Nursey based care - trained workers / inspected by ofsted / activites planned
- Family based care - registered child minders / Nanny / Infomal arrangments
Found children who has attended day care were better able to cope in social situations, and able to interact better with peers - Day care helps social development and improve peer relations
Children who attend day care get along with children better, more sociable and outgoing
found negative correlation between time spent in day care and pro-social behaviour, children who spet time in day care were less cooperative and helpful in dealings with other children - Day care can hamper relations
HOW DID BELSKY SHOW DAY CARE HAS A POSITIVE EFFCT ON AGRESSION?
HOW DID MACOBY AND LEWIS SHOW DAY CARE HAS A POSITIVE EFFCT ON AGRESSION?
HOW DID FIELD SHOW DAY CARE HAS A POSITIVE EFFECT ON AGRESSION?
HOW DID ALSPAC SHOW DAY CARE HAS A NEGATIVE EFFECT ON AGRESSION?
HOW DID BARGE ET AL SHOW DAY CARE HAS A NEGATIVE EFFCTS ON DAY CARE?
Children who experience daycare show higher levels of problem behaviour, including agression towards peers - day care increases agressive behaviour
more hours spent in day care correlated with a range of negative outcomes including more behavioural problems
teachers rated children who had been in full time daycare as more agressive and assertive towards peers
found no negative effects of daycare including an increase in agressive behaviour
found agression was significantly higher in home reared children
HOW DOES THE VARIETY OF DAY CARE SETTINGS AFFECT THE CHILDS EXPERIENCE OF DAY CARE?
HOW DOES THE TIME SPENT IN DAY CARE AFFECT THE CHILDS EXPERIENCE?
HOW DOES THE QUALITY OF DAY CARE AFFECTS CHILDS EXPERIENCE?
HOW DOES THE INDIVIDUAL DIFFERENCE OF THE CHILD AFFECT THEIR EXPERIENCE?
Adult to child ratios and amount of children present, have both been shown to influence a childs day care experience
Children who experience loger days in day care lead to more negative interactions with children - those who attend more days in shorter bursts gain more social benifit
good quality early childcare is important to developments of socially skilled children
Children have different temperaments and attachment styles, some get more out of day care than others
WHAT MAKES GOOD QUALITY DAY CARE?
- Low adult to child ratio - ensures each child recieved plenty of adult attention
- Small sized group - easier for younger children to deal with
- Mixed age group of children - gives toddlers opportunity to observe older peers interactions and copy social behaviours
- Well trained staff and low staff turnover - allows children to get to know staff
- Secure attachment - good quality day care provided children with stable attachment figure
- Structred day - free time to play, some group time and some structured activities, routines help child feel enviroment is predictable and therefore safe