1. Restore relations with Parl'.
2. Try and eliminate French influence.
3. Try to improve finances.
4. Repress dissenters
What ironic rumor circulated due to Dan's strict e
That J, Dof Y, who represented Caths and Shafts, who represented NCs + dissenters had convo about an alliance because of the harsh persecution.
Hutton's view of Charles' attitude to his minister
In the 70s and 80s Charles became less guiding with his ministers - weak director.
Danby's attempts to improve Crown and Parliamentar
1. Initially strengthened - religion + FP = cav'
2. Bribes - 24-30, £10,000 pa 1675
4.1677 - Shafts and other leaders sent to tower - COWARD: THEY + CLOSEST AT THIS TIME.
5. Closing down of coffee houses - double-edged sword
1. Intol' = too extreme
2. Still mistrust of C
3. Bribes - certain amount in budget + commonplace
Danby's attempts to improve the structure of royal
1. Eradication of tax farmers
2. Increased collection of taxes
3. Increased royal income - just over £1.3 mill by 1678
1. L-T efforts undermined by S-T extravagence
2. C agreed to, then ignore retrenchment - floating debt of £750,000 greater than inherited in 1674.
Danby's religious policy
Dan's aim = to realign crown religious policy with Anglican high Church, no tol'.
1. Memorandum 1674
2. 1674 - series of conferences with the bishops
3. Test Bill 1675 - offices to be vacated if possessed by a person of Roman religion.
1. Prep for war 1678 - C refuse fight french
2. Too extreme - sudden change + distasteful - substantiated claims made by Shafts
Danby's FP - Pro-Dutch, Anti-French
1. MPs = ignorant on FP + finance, BUT by 1677 clear they wanted a Dutch allaince, fear + distrust the French.
2. Marriage of W+M - betrothed Oct 1677
1. C's continual involvement with the French
2. Refused to fight the French in 1678
How far short did Parl' supplies for the DW fall?
Coward's view of Danby's failure
Danby's failure however was largely due to his failure to overcome the suspicions of most MPs of Charles' pro-french and cath leanings ... What caused most distrust of the crown at this stage was C's continued attachment to the French alliance.
Evidence that Charles continues to form a close al
1. He = reluctant to recall soldiers still fighting in the French army.
2. 2 further 'secret' agreements in Aug 1675 and Feb 1676 - L agreed to pay C £112,000.
3. Following the occupation of Flanders by the French in Spring 1677, C refused requests from MPs to interevene, + adjourned Parl' between May 1677 - Jan 1678 to quel opposition.
Marvell's assessment of the Parl' session Jun-July
There wa a widespread fear that the army raised to fight the French would be used against Parl'.
At the same time as he engineered the marriage of W+M in 1667, C made Dan secretly obtain a yearly subsidy from L XIV.
When this was made public in 1678, against the background of the PP, Dan = immediately impeached by Parl' + committed 1679 to the tower of London.
Danby's strength as a minister
1. Pro-Dutch, please Prots.
2. Good financial policy - came up with successful policies.
Danby's weaknesses as a minister
1. Faced lots of opposition - led to his impeachment and imprisonment.
2. Allowed C to do things that = politically insensible + then left himself open to be scapegoated.
What was contained in the Dec 1677 Anglo-Dutch tre
1. Eng agreed to force L XIV to make peace with Holland, by force if necessary.
2, Parl' voted to raise an army of 30,000 men + £1 mill for this purpose.
What did Montagu do in Aug 1677?
He signed a secret agreement with L XIV - if Eng remained @ peace with France and C kept Parl' prorogued, L would grant C 2 mill livres.
1678 further secret treaty negotiated
C agreed to disband the new army of 30,000 men + keep parl' prorgued in return for more money.
C then antagonised L by taking the £ + not disbanding the Army.
What dominated the Parl' sessions of 1673-4?
Demands for new Test Acts to exclude Caths from Parl'
Attacks on King's ministers
Demands that the King's children should be educated as Protestants
Why were the Declarations of Indulgence so controv
Charles claimed that he had dispensing powers over the penal laws against Caths + NCs.