What are Resources?
- Ores like iron ore, bauxite (Aluminium) and rock salt
- Water, the sun, wind and land
- Anything living, forests, fish in rives, oceans and animals
- Fossil fuels, (coal, oil, gas) burned remains of ancient plants
Resources Are Unevenly Distributed And Consumed
A non renewable energy source- Oil
Many countries have oil reserves- This is really an accident of geology, as oil is in rocks under the countries.
How much oil a country has depends on:
- Having money and technology. (To devlop oil wells)
- Political decisions to protect areas from oil drilling. Ie- USA's Artic National Wildlife Refuge
What are Resources? (Continued)
Types of Resources
- Non- Renewable- Low amount of these, usually in the ground. Once humans use these up, none will be left/ avaliable. Ie- Fossil Fuels
- Renewable- A resource which is replaced naturally and can be used time and time again. It is infinite. Ie- Wind, solar and wave power
Why Are Resources Running Out?
Population is growing- More people use more resources
Developing countries- Need resources to develop
High demand for oil- For industry and factories
Developed countries consume much more as they have more money ect
How Can We Reduce Resource Consumption?
- Use more renewable resources
- Switch things off and unplug unused items