Bass structure: X O H
Formular: CnH2n+1 OH
- Flammable - burn to release CO2 and H2O
- Methanal & Ethanal are volatile - so sotred in containers
- 1st 3 mix with H20
- Methanal --> Blindness Ethanol --> damages liver & Brain
"The "carbon chain" can mix with oils.
The -OH group can mix with water and ionic compounds"
1) Ethanol: solvent for perfumes/aftershave. --> Oil (smell) water (makes bullk)
2) Methylated spirit: ethanol + chemical. --> Clean paint bushes & Fuel
Alchols used as fuels - Sugar cane is fermented to form ethanol to use for fuels