- Created by: campbellmonster
- Created on: 01-12-19 14:04
Liberal Party campaign
- 1926 LG liberal leader once more after Asquith dies at age 63
- Liberals won 6 by-elections between 1927-29
- LG personally donated £400,000 of own money to the party
- John Maynard Keynes enlisted to help with the election:
- Created a raadical progam of policies to deal with the issue of unemployment or the "intractable million". "We can Conquer Unemployment" or The Little Yellow Book
- Book proposed massive borowwing and investment into public works -> create jobs, reduce unemployment and have multiplier effect on economy
- But could LG be trusted after he had failed to keep to promises to build "A land fit for heroes" in the 1918-22 premiership.
1 of 3
Labour election campaign 1929
- Had already proven they were fit to govern moderately in 1924.
- RMD picked up on Conservative heavy handed response to General Stike.
- Stole LG's idea of massive public spending but a bit more vague - "Labour and the Nation"
- Aimed to reorganise the industry to create "socialist commonwealth"
2 of 3
- Ran under slogan of "Safety First"-> not very inspiring, run out of ideas
- Campaign mainly focused on the issues with the other parties campaigns, not creating own ideas and just raising fears over a 'red scare' NEGATIVE CAMPAIGN
- SB's gov had brought in many successful reforms (especially those of NC) but chose not to focus upon thses and instead focused the campaign on his record as a leader
- "The Man you can trust" another slogan, meant to discredit LG
- Main issue of this election was unemployment, therefore more of the same was NOT going to fix the issues
3 of 3