Slides in this set
(A quick overview of the AQA specification)
3) The design argument
"Credit will be given for any reference to any relevant version of the design
argument, but candidates will be expected to be familiar with the following:
The argument presented by Aquinas
The argument presented by Paley"
When arguing against the design argument remember
(with reference to) HUME
SCIENCE (with RICHARD
reference to) DAWKINS…read more
(In hindsight, a lot of Dawkins' arguments are very controversial)
· Richard Dawkins is a modern supporter of Charles Darwin and a strong critic of
design arguments for the existence of God.
· Dawkins is also against religious belief his view is that religious belief is an
excuse for people not to investigate scientifically. He believes that religious
belief also encourages people not to think.
· Dawkins argues that religious mentality is an obstacle in humanity.
· In Darwin's book `Why the evidence of evolution reveals a universe without
Design' he argues that as scientists come closer to understanding how
everything works, there is less and less need for God to explain things.
· Dawkins believes that the discovery of DNA by Crick and Watson has been a
major step forward in discrediting of religious faith According to Dawkins
DNA can explain the most fundamental causes of humanity and therefore
there is no need for the suggestion that God created people.…read more
· Crick and Watson's breakthrough when they uncovered the mysteries of DNA; it appears
that there was no mysterious `spark' which distinguishes life.
"Life is just bytes and bytes and bytes of digital information"
· Darwin also argues that survival advantages conferred on some genes and accidents and
natural disasters such as tsunamis and volcanic eruptions cannot be blamed on any
purposeful activity by supernatural forces. He argues that nature is neither uncaring or cruel
but just indifferent. Therefore the processes of evolution cannot be ascribed to feelings and
purpose in this way.
We need the Uh.. Why exactly
gods to see us so are we doing this
they can stop the again?
Darwinism presents a challenge to arguments from design, because it suggests an alternative
reason why creatures seem to be so well suited for their purposes. Darwinism suggests that
evolution, not God, is the cause of apparent design.…read more
The 6 fundamental principles (p.s you must know the quotes!)
1. "Only one thing is intrinsically 2. "The ruling norm of Christian 3.
good, namely love; nothing decision is love: nothing else"
else at all" This is taken from the event in the
This means that the only good Bible where Jesus heals on the
thing in itself is LOVE. Therefore Sabbath day. Fletcher says it is
actions are determined good if right to replace rules if it means it
they help people and are bad if will provide a loving outcome.
they hurt people.…read more