Slides in this set
What are factors?
· Factors are the causes that have made things
happen in the history of medicine.
· They are different influences on the
development of medicine.
· Each factor plays an important role in
medicine's changes over time.
· Factors can help or hinder change.…read more
How do factors work?
· Almost always the factors work together to
produce or prevent development in
· Although we will examine them separately
remember that it would be very unusual for
a single factor to alter the history of
How do we examine factors?
· Identify the factors - see how they worked
together - examine which was most important,
· What factors led to the development of the
More powerful prize for the
telescope discovery in
· War increased the need for
medicine - without effective
medicine there would be no
army to fight!
Roman army hospitals
Paré's ointment and ligatures
Nightingale and the conditions in hospitals
X-rays & Skin grafts…read more