- Why did Hitler order the Night of the Long Knives?
- He did not want the socialists to take control. He wanted a right wing dictatorship
- He needed the support of the army for his plans for war and knew that the generals would not accept Roehm as their leader
- Hitler had to act before President Hindenburg died
- It would be very difficult to deny Roehm power when Hitler became Fuhrer.
- Roehm claimed that the SA was growing rapidly
- He put the membership at 3,000,000. Although it was probably nearer 500,000
- Roehm ordered all the members of the SA to go on holiday for the month of July 1934 and summoned the leaders to Munich for a conference
- On the night of 30th June 1934, 400 SA leaders, including Roehm were assassinated by the SS on Hitler's orders.
- They also murdered General Kurt von Schleicher and his wife.
Similar History resources: