- Why did America enter WW1?
- many believed America should only enter foreign affairs if it threatened American trade or security
- when Germany invaded Belgium, there were reports of violence against the people, increased anti-German feeling
- 1915, German U-Boats sunk passenger liner RMS Lusitania, this caused more anti-German feeling
- Dec 1916, the British government sent a secret report to the USA saying that the British government was bankrupt and they would not be able to continue the war unless the USA joined
- Feb 1917, Russian Revolution and the downfall of the Tsar meant joining the Allies would be a fight for democracy
- decisive event=Zimmerman Telegram, proposing German support for Mexico against the USA
- Belgium, Boat, British, Revolution, Zimmerman