The Political Landscape 1951- 64
· By 1951 he was acknowledged as a great statesman, but he was perhaps past his best.
· Towards the end of his time in office he admitted that Britain’s time had gone.
· he struggled to understand what people wanted and that America would be the dominant nation in the future
· been a member of the pre-war Conservative government and had served under Churchill during the war as Foreign Minister
· By the mid-1950s, he was, perhaps, a little past his best also and in a hurry…