- Created by: Hadley023
- Created on: 11-03-19 13:11
- Roman coins have been found, suggesting a traceable history.
- Established by the Saxons and recorded in the Domesday book 1086 after the Norman conquest.
- End of the 13th Century, it was a port operating coastal and cross channel links.
- Strong links to ship building which maintained until the 19th Century.
- Estuary has been used for fishing, espeically mussels and ships. Also went into the Atlantic for cod and whales.
- Tourism in the 1840s attracted wealthy families from Exeter and Devon.
- 1850s saw an expansion of the built environment for visitors.
- Railway in 1861 improved connections and the shellfish industry increased.
- In the 1900s, it became a dormitory settlement for Exeter.
Similar Geography resources: