- Created by: Rachellowe
- Created on: 13-05-18 19:03
- Disability and Identity
- Shakespeare - disability is a label
- The label is often more of a problem than the disability itself
- Disability is in some sense a social construct
- It is more useful to talk of impairments
- Everyone's abilities are different so everyone has some kind of impairment
- Society should adapt so everyone has the same access to the same services
- They are negatively stereotyped as weak and dependent on others
- Scott - if they are labelled as dependent it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy
- Marsh and Keating - everyone is dependent on other people to some extent.
- The media
- Theres very little representation of disabled people in the media
- Roles for disabled people are limited
- Those with real life experience of disability were more likley to reject unrealistic portrayals in the media.
- The media can create negative perceptions amongst people in the media who haven't already formed their own ideas.
Similar Sociology resources: