- Created by: noahsam
- Created on: 23-03-17 11:47
- Case Study - Montserrat Responses
- A risk map was created and an exclusion zone is in place. The south of the island is off limits while to volcano is still active.
- The UK has provided £41m to develop the north of the island - new docks, an airport and houses have been built in the north.
- The Montserrat Volcano Observatory has been set up to try and predict future eruptions.
- People were evacuated from the South to safe areas in the north.
- Shelters were built to house evacuees
- Temporary infrastructure was built eg roads & electricity supplies
- The UK provided £17 million of emergency aid.
- Local emergency services provided support units to search for a rescue survivors.
Similar Geography resources: