- Narrative tone- past tense, first person, story telling.
- Language- "saddled"- annoyed, stuck with a load, describes brother like and object.
- Alliteration- "spouting six-year-old" spiting out the "s" sound shows spite and annoyance towards brother.
- "close the distance"- literally closing the distance to the bus but also closing the relationship with his brother shutting him out.
- Constant reference to age- brother is too young to be there, they want to grow up quickly "doing what grown-ups do".
- "ridiculous"- shows embarrassment at what his brother is wearing, making him less cool in front of his friend.