1. Issue with research into culture regarding romantic relationships
- Reductionistic, reduces complex theory of romantic relationships to culture
- Deterministic to suggest that cultures completely determine romantic relationships for example divorce rate in India has increased even though they are considered a collectivist cultures showing romantic relationships aren't completely deterministic
- Relationships are subjective
1 of 12
Other questions in this quiz
2. Which study found that only 1 out of 108 hunter-gatherer communities showed no signs of love?
- Moore and Leung
3. How does individualistic cultures affect the choice someone has on relationships?
- Individuals in this culture are taught to be independent, so their opinion is important in deciding who they have a relationship with
- This culture tends to live in a urbanised setting where they are likely to meet lots of people in a voluntary way
- Individuals are taught to interdependent and relationships should be for the greater good of the community so their community is more likely to have an opinion in whom they have a relationship with
- This culture tends to live in less urbanised settings so there's less choice in whom they interact with due to geographical isolation and lack of social mobility making relationships more non-voluntary
4. What did Janovick find?
- In Chinese university students both males and females were equally romantic and Anglo-Australian males were more causal and less romantic than their female counterparts
- 88% of cultures showed signs of love
- Only 1 out of 108 hunter-gatherer communities showed no signs of love
5. Which study found that those in arranged marriages were just as satisfied with their relationship as those in love marriages?
- Yelsma and Arthappily
- Myers et al.
- Xiaohe and Whyte