Western and Non-Western Relationships
- Voluntary or Non-Voluntary Relationships
- In Western Cultures, we live in predominantly urban settings with easy geographical and social mobility.
- We voluntarily interact with a large number of people.
- High degree of choice in potential relationships and a greater pool.
- Non western cultures have fewer urban centres and do not make many interactions daily
- Individual or Group-Based Relationships
- Western cultures okace great importance on rights and freedom of someone, putting their happiness first.
- These cultures are individualist.
- Non western cultures focus on the group collectivist.
- Collectivism choice is more to do with the family or the group.
- The Importance of Love in Romantic Relationships
- In western cultures we may expect to find differences regarding the importance of love in romantic relationships.
- In a survey; us people said they would not marry someone who they did not love but it was different in collectivist cultures. Prepared to marry in the absence of love.
- Cultural Differences in Loneliness
- Cultures promoting a stron desire for romantic relationships can influence feelings of romantic loneliness in…