1. Who planned a march through Washington to put pressure on JFK?
- Alfred King
- Malcolm X
- Martin Luther King
- Stokely Carmichael
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. Why did JFK advise against the march through Washington?
- He feared it wouldn't help the discussion of the Civil Rights Bill that he was trying to pass through Congress.
- He didn't understand the purpose of the march
- He feared violence would break out between campaigners.
- He feared the bad publicity the USA would get, if, like at Birmingham, the police responded violently.
3. How many reporters were at the march on Washington?
4. On which date was the 1st big children's demonstration in Birmingham?
- 2nd May 1963
- 8th June 1963
- 12th December 1963
- 24th October 1963
5. Birmingham's chief of police was given what nickname, due to his aggressive nature (e.g. he was said to have given the KKK 15 mins to beat up Freedom Riders in May 1961 before sending his police in)?
- 'Hulk' Connor
- 'Rage' Connor
- 'Bull' Connor
- 'Bully' Connor