1. Which of the following is an example of a tag question?
- 'Is it warm?'
- 'When was the last time it was this warm? When shall we go out?'
- 'It's warm, isn't it?'
- 'Will it get warmer soon?'
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. What is an adjacency pair?
- When two speakers say the same thing at the same time.
- An organised and co-ordinated manner in the way in which the speakers speak.
- A response which depends on and results from the previous utterance.
- Two words that are spelt different, yet sound exactly the same.
3. What is the difference between euphemism and dysphemism?
- Euphemism is putting something socially unacceptable in a polite manner, whereas dysphemism is not socially acceptable and is something said in an innapropriate manner.
- Euphemism is the literal meaning of words and dysphemism is when a word can have a double meaning behind it.
- Euphemism is extremely unacceptable in the society, for example, swear words. Dysphemism is a polite manner of speech.
- Euphemism is not socially acceptable and is something said in an innapropriate manner, whereas, dysphemism is putting something socially unacceptable in a polite manner.
4. What is an ellipsis?
- Omission of vowel at the end of the word when the next word begins with a vowel.
- Representation of a significant pause.
- Omission of a vowel/syllable in the pronunciation of a word.
- One speaker speaking over another, interuppting them.
5. What is a hypophora?
- Informal language.
- Over-exaggeration of something.
- An answer immediately following a rhetorical question.
- A word which could have different multiple meanings.
Similar English Language & Literature resources: