- one way that the USSR gained political control was through what Hungarian Communist Rakosi described as 'Salami tactics'
- he stated that spreading communist control was like 'slicing off salami piece by piece' and done in three stages;
1. Soviets supervised organisation in East Europe, creating an alliance of anti-facists
2. each party that wasn't communist was 'sliced off'
3. the communist 'core' was left and local communists were replaced by Moscow-trained
- eventually communist leaders returned from the…