The consolidation of positions
- Europe had been divided and established into two armed camps
--> this was consolidated to give relations between East and West a degree of stability.
- The Iron Curtain = a defined line marking the border between the different spheres of influence
- Insecurity of the late 1940's had been caused by both sides
- By 1949 the division of Europe had become entrenched
- US were committed to NATO
- This showed an indication of the strength of their attitude towards defending Europe from the spreading of communism
- The Warsaw Pact of 1955 symbolised the USSR's willingness for the USSR to protect the Eastern Bloc from the perceived evils of American imperialism.
- Both US and USSR had to accept the division of Eurpope but their positions were more secure so the superpowers were more willing to attempt negotiation