- Greek resistance to the Germans had been divided in to two movements- the royalists (they wanted the return of the King) and the Communists.
- After the war, the royalists restored the king with the help of the British troops. However, they came under attack from Communist forces and asked the USA for help in 1947.
- Truman was already very worried about the spread of Communism. Under a foreign policy initiative tht became known as the Truman Doctrine, the USA provided Greece with arms and money. The Communists were eventually defeated in 1949 after a civil war.
The Truman Doctrine, 1947
- Events In Greece convinced Truman that unless he acted, Communism would begin to spread. He therefore explained the Truman Doctrine in a speech:
" I believe it must be the policy of the USA to support all free people who are resisting attempted subjugation by armed minorities or by outside pressure".
- The USA would not return to isolationism-it would play a leading world role.
- The aim was to stop the spread of Communism but not to push it back. This was the policy of containment.
- Under the Truman Doctrine, the USA…