- Created by: Kata J
- Created on: 20-12-18 14:58
· Europe was devastated after the War and in many countries, people had no money, no jobs and were feeling hopeless.
· Communism was attractive to these people as it made sure everyone had enough.
· Many people in Eastern Europe had been liberated from Nazi rule and already had Communist governments.
· Some governments (Greece and Turkey) were too poor to combat Communist revolutions in their own countries.
· If these countries became Communist, other countries throughout Europe would do the same. This was known as the Domino Theory.
The Truman Doctrine:
· In 1947 Truman began a US policy of containment.
· This was because the USA believe that the Soviet Union was trying to spread communism.
· Greece was also under threat of a Communist takeover and Britain could no longer support the Greek Government.
· With the support of the doctrine Greece was able to defeat the revolutionaries who…