- Used to be a manufacturing centre (engineering and jewellery).
- by 1980 most of this industry was gone as cheaper goods were being made abroad, this has an effect on the economy of the CBD.
- The Bullring used to be rundown and less people spent money there.
What birmingham did:
- The Bullring was redeveloped and reopened in 2003
- Now has more then 140 major shops including a Selfridges store.
- Designs were attractive to bring in visitors from the outside.
- was an area of old warehouses by the canal.
- a £400 million project transformed it into a modern pedestrain zone of aparments/houses/offices/hotels/restaurants/cafes.
- Nearby attractions- National Indoor arena + Sea Life Centre.
-Traditional shopping streets have been pedestrainised.