Society is dividede into the capitalist ruling-class and the working class.
Marxism is a structuralist theory; society superstructure is controlled by its economic base.
- Crime is inevitable because capitalism is criminogenic - its very nature causes crime.
- Capitalsim is based on the exploitatuion of the working class therefore:
- Crime is the only way to survive.
- Crime is the only way in obtaining consumer goods promoted by capitalism.
- Alineation may cause frustration and anger, leading to non-utilitarian crimes.
[Evaluation: MARXISM is too deterministic of working class - not all poor people commit crime.]
Marxists see law making and enforcement as a way of serving the intrests of the capitalsit class.
Chambliss (1975) - laws to protect private property are at the basis of any capitalist economy.
(Link to labelling theory as it…