- Ica valley.
- Desert area in the Andes.
- One of the driest places on earth.
- Depletion of local water sources for irrigation of asparagus fields.
- Exports of the asparagus go to the UK. The UK is the worlds 6th largest importer of virtual water (the water needed to create the goods a country imports.)
- Depleting water supplies to smaller farmers and local families who are finding wells running dry and the water source for the main city is also under threat.
- The local water table has plummeted since 2002 when extraction over took replenishment.
- In some areas…
Similar World Development resources: