- Created by: LydiaMae1401
- Created on: 24-11-19 17:52
To respond to immediate or serious danger, body uses both the nervous system and the endocrine system.
1) Stressor is perceived.
2) Stressor is detected by hypothalamus which activates the pituitary gland . Releases ACTH.
3) This activates the sympathetic branch of the ANS, which activates the sympathomedullary pathway (SAM). Which activates the adrenal medulla.
4) Releases adrenaline and noradrenaline.
5) Prepares the body for flight or fight.
6) Increase HR, BP. Dilates pupils and lungs. Relaxes bladder and rectum. Inhibit digestion and saliva production, breaks down glucose.
7) When the stressor disappears. Parasympathetic branch activated.