Why do some places suffer more than others?
- Tectonics and the global distribution of earthquakes
- Most earthquakes do coincide with the major plate margins
- A number of earthquake occur away from plate margins often referred to as "mid-plate" earthquakes
- greater density of earthquakes than other margins
- Earthquakes have a narrower spread at some plate margin than at others
Mid-plate earthquakes occur
- Stress release as pressure builds up
- Reservoir construction, where increased weight and pore pressure
- Water or oil abstruction
- Mining subsidence
Earthquake magnitude and depth
- Stronger an earthquake the more serious effects will be
- Shallow earthqauke that occur close to the surface, tend to result in a greater intensity of surface shaking and often causes greater loss to life and property
Nature of bedrock- liquefaction is hen materials become jelly like once shake. Buildings become vulnerable to mass movement.
Similar Geography resources: