Gaddis: As long as he was alive, Cold War was inevitable.
- Absolutist. No capacity for comprimise. Inability to be flexible exemplified by Maxim litvinov: 'it would lead to the West being faced after a more or less short time with the next series of demands.'
Preoccpation with Security
- Russia invaded in 1915, 1918, 1941/
- Policy on Poland (1945) Stalinisation of EE. 'Matter of life or death.' Obsessed with issue Postdam and Yalta, very difficult over it. Moved to Oder-Neisse line on his demand. 5m Germans had to move
- BUT caution and restraint. Recognise Greece as an area of British Influence (Moscow Council December 1945)
- Did not object to US troops in SK despite proximity to USSR.
Promoting CW tension.
- February 1946 provocative speech - inevitable conflict with capitalist. Justify introduction of further 5-year plans.
- Retained presence in Iran after March 1946 deadline. Secure access to…