- Created by: Meeteor
- Created on: 22-05-16 21:22
Believing in God Unit 3.1:
Main Features of a Catholic Upbringing:
· Teach their Children prayers and about the Saints.
· Send their Children to a Catholic School where they’ll meet other Catholic Children.
· Go to Church usually every week to pray and worship God
· Have Religious Sacraments worshipping God such as Baptism Holy Communion etc.
How a Catholic Upbringing may lead to belief in God:
· Their Parents will teach them about God and they’re likely to believe what their parents tell them.
· Catholic Parents teach them how to pray to God which becomes a daily routine of their lives.
· Seeing many people whilst in Church also praying to God will make them think God must exist.
· Being confirmed would support belief as they’ll learn more during confirmation lessons and may have a religious experience when the Bishop touches them with his hand
How Religious Experiences may lead to belief in God:
· Numinous- The experience will make them feel God is real. If you become aware of a presence greater than you, you’re likely to think that presence is God.
· Conversion- It gives them the feeling of “being born again” and makes them feel God is calling them to do something.
· Miracles- The experience will make them think that they have just witnessed one of God’s actions on Earth and so will make them think God is real.
· Prayer- If their prayer is answered it makes them feel that God has listened to what they’ve asked for and made it a reality.
Design Argument and how it may lead to belief in God:
· Everything designed needs a designer.
· Plenty evidence the world has been designed
· If the world has been designed it must have a designer.
· Only possible designer for something so complex and amazing is God.
How Design Argument may not lead to belief in God:
· Ignores evidence for lack of design in things like diseases, earthquakes volcanoes etc.
· Does not refer to dinosaurs which must be part of design but no one believes they could’ve been part of design.
· Only proves the Universe has a designer, not God. The designer could’ve been many Gods.
How Causation Argument may lead to belief in God:
· Everything has a cause e.g. water temp falls to create solid ice at 0 degrees.
· Everything must be caused by something as you cannot cause your own existence
· You can’t keep going back with causes; Universe must have a first cause.
· Only possible first cause is God.
How Causation Argument may not lead to belief in God:
· Why should causes stop at God? God must need a cause too.
· Matter of universe is eternal so the processes of causes go on forever.
· First cause could’ve…