A pleblecite is a vote in which an electorate can express a public view OR a public vote on a single issue. Advisory or binding.
CIRCUMSTANCES WHERE GVTS HOLD A REFERENDUM
- When gvt thinks its likely to win to avoid embarrassment of losing ie. AV referendum
- A sitting government does not want a referendum to turn into a vote on its performance
- If governments win a referendum they will have a popularity boost, and receive public backing
- In 1990s- should britain join Euro, TB and GB didnt think would win so Labour hesitancy
- To resolve cotroversial issues across the party, resolve a divide
- Does not always bring a definite answer, ie Scot…