- Created by: Jessica Warren
- Created on: 08-06-14 13:47
Here is the fifth and final essay that could come up on depression. Really hope these essay plans have helped you all. Good luck :)
Discuss psychologcial treatments of ONE mental disorder (Depression) (8+16)
- Psychological treatments for depression include Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT), Psychoanalytic Therapy and Interpersonal Psychotherapy. CBT aims to identify and alter negative beliefs and expectations contributing or maintaining the depression. Psychoanalytic Therapy is where the client works through depressive and angry feelings and develops an appropriate internal working model and this is done through 'Transference'. Interpersonal Psychotherapy aims to improve interpersonal functioning and to help alleviate someof the symptoms of depression.
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy was developed by Beck. It aims to alter the negative beliefs and dysfunctional behaviours that are contributing or maintaining the clients depression. It normally a brief treatment, lasting between 16-20 weeks, and it is active and direct - focusing on the here and now. In the initial session the therapist may ask the patient for background information to establish why the patient has become depressed.
- It involves methods such as; Graded Homework Assignments (engaging in more rewarding activities), Problem Solving, Behavioural Acitivation (encouraging the patient to identify pleasurable activities and overcoming the obstacles stopping them from carrying out the pleasurable activity), Thought Catching (Encouraging the patient to record their own thoughts and feelings and then challenging them) and Cognitive Restructuring (replacing a persons irrational beliefs).
- CBT is also the most widely used psychological therapy for depression.
+ Many studies have shown the effectiveness of CBT in reducing depression ad preventing relapse.
- However, the studies aren't conclusive and they often have methodological and sampling issues.
+ CBT vs Antidepressants - there is no conclusive evidence from research as to which is the best but combining biological and psychological treatments gives a success rate of 85%.