Unit 2 Revision Notes
Holders of Information
Examples are individual citizens, businesses, educational institutes, governments, charities, and health care services.
USB- Device that includes flash memory with an integrated USB interface.
- Removable and rewritable.
- Smaller than optical disks (CD’s and DVD’s)
- Lasts at least ten years.
- Used for data backups and transfer of computer files.
- Small, faster, more capacity, and more durable due to no moving parts.
- USB’s with USB 2.0 support can store more data and transfer faster than much larger optical disc drives like CD-RW and DVD-RW drives. They can be read by many handheld devices such as smartphones and tablets but an SD card is better suited for this.
- Flash drive consists of small printed circuit with is protected and insulated electrically by the plastic, metal or rubberised case.
- Used for storing and retrieving digital information using rigid rapidly rotating disks coated with magnetic material. These are paired with magnetic heads arranged on a moving arm which reads and writes data to the disks surface.
- Data is accessed in a random manner meaning individual blocks of data can be stored or retrieved in any order.
- It has a non-volatile memory so it retains the stored data even when powered off.
- Its capacity is measured in TB’s or GB’s. However, some capacity is unavailable to the user because it’s used by the file and operating system of the computer.
- Data retrieval time depends on where the data is stored.
- Digital data that is stored in logical pools in multiple servers.
- Companies only need to pay for the storage they actually use.
- Organisations can choose between off-premises and on-premises cloud storage options.
- Storage availability and data protection is paramount to cloud storage companies, so depending on the application, the additional technology, effort and cost to add availability and protection can be eliminated.
- Storage maintenance tasks, such as purchasing additional storage capacity, are offloaded to the responsibility of a service provider.
- Cloud storage provides users with immediate access to a broad range of resources and applications hosted in the infrastructure of another organization via a web service interface.
- Cloud storage can be used as natural disaster proof backup, as normally there are 2 or 3 different backup servers located in different places around the globe.
- This is a storage serves connected to a computer network providing data access to a large group of clients.
- Removes the responsibility of file serving from other servers on the network.
- Use network file sharing protocols to allow clients access.
- It has faster data access, easier administration and simpler configuration than general purpose servers.
Solid State Drives
- These have no moving parts and all data is retrieved at the same rate no matter where it is stored.
- They don’t rely on magnetic properties.
- Store data by controlling the movement of electrons with NAND chips.
- Data is stored as O’s and 1’s in millions of tiny transistors within the chip.
- Has a non-volatile memory that is…