Milgram's Original Study
- Investigate the level of obedience when told by an authoritative figure to give electric shocks.
- Investigate "Germans are different" hypothesis (the assumption that the Germans obeyed because of blind obedience, not because of who they were).
- The sample was self selected via a newspaper ad. It consisted of 40 men aged between 20 and 50. They were from various occupational backgrounds, all from the New Haven area of America. The method used was a lab based study.
- Milgram investigated what people thought would occur. Fourteen Yale psychology seniors predicted that 0-3% would go up to 450V.
- At the beginning of the study a lot was drawn whereby the participant always became the teacher.
- The stooge/confederate was then taken into another room where they were strapped into a chair and electrodes were attached to them - this was done in front of…