- Created by: Lalala
- Created on: 11-06-11 22:59
Qualities which make a good living space
When given the chance to choose where to live, some young people tend to live in the place they have grown up as they would have become familiar with the local area and developed a network of friends, so are content to stay where they are, even though the area may be unattractive or worse.
Nearly 90% of people surveyed in Scotland believed their own area which they lived in was very of fairly good.
Factors affecting how we view different places
- Age - younger - seek more variety in social life - cities more attractive than rural areas.
- Mobility - affects how isolated we are likely to be - rural areas pose more problems unless households have cars.
- Cultural background - controls how we 'see' places.
- Knowledge and perception - tend to ignore what we don't know about - crime rates, local facilities and job opportunities.
- Economic status - likely to find places attractive that offer us security though offering us work.
COUNTERURBANISATION - MOVEMENT BACK TO RURAL REGIONS
RURAL IDYLL - COMMON PERCEPTION THAT RURAL AREAS ARE QUIET AND ATTRACTIVE - THEREFORE GOOD PLACES TO LIVE
In 2007 more than 105,000 people…