Biological Explanations of Schizo.
1. Dopamine hypothesis:
- Suggests that excess levels of the neurotransmitter ‘dopamine’ are found in Schizo. patients
- Patients also tend to have more dopamine receptors at the synapse indicating increased release of dopamine
· Increased levels in one part of the brain contribute to + symptoms and increased levels in other parts of the brain lead to – symptoms.
· Comes from studies from drugs, e.g. amphetamines, which increase dopamine levels and make symptoms worse in Schizo. patients
· Genetic influence may cause sensitivity to dopamine (neurochemical and genetic explanation)
+ It has many studies and a range of methodology to support it. E.g. Post-mortem studies…