- Created by: Beth Dunn-Wilson
- Created on: 01-06-13 14:05
3 million people. 99% happy with their city. A city in a developing country with better quality of life than much of the third world. One man and an idea: prioritisn people over cars.
Jamie Lerner, mayor of the city 1971 for 22 years. Retired in 2002.
- paved the street and closing it to traffic creating the first pedestrain mall. 'Street of flowers' has since spread to span 15 blocks.
- mobility, sustainability, identity.
- by 1970s population had grown neartly 10 fold in 15 years. LOTS OF CARS! Public transport was the solution, but very poor city. So how?
- Main traffic paths: in, out, and central for two way traffic and bus only lanes to speed passengers in and out of the centre. 25, 000 a day…