Crime in a Capitalist Society
Traditional Marxists argue that capitalism is itself a crime and that capitalism causes crime.
They argue that capitalism is a crime because:
- It is an economic system based on the exploitation of the many by the few.
- The proletariat work for the bourgeoisie and make a profit for them, it is not an equal relationship but a criminal relationship.
- The only reason it isn't seen as a crime is because all laws are made by and on behalf of the bourgeoisie.
- The fact that society is so unequal is a crime: the facts that the rich can afford luxury while the poor strave is a crime
Capitalism causes crime because
- It is an economic system based on competition, selfishness and greed, it encourages a dog eat dog, survival of the fittest approach to life
- We are socialised from an early age into these values, so it is no surprise that crime is high in capitalist countries like the UK
Slapper and Tombs…