- human death toll of collectivisation more than all casulties of WW1 combined
- trigger of collectivisation was the grain procurement crisis of 1928-9
- state prices fell behind market prices giving the peasants no insentive to sell their produce
- by 1929 had to introduce bread rationing and import grain (Russia's biggest export)
- collectivisation is seen by Alex Nove as" a great turning point in russian history"
- forced collectivisation was originally an emmergency policy until July 1929
- collectivisation caused widespread changes in the countryside
- NEP seen as bourgeois…