- Created by: Hazzy671
- Created on: 30-01-19 16:32
Causes of Hurricanes:
Tropical Storms are known as Hurricanes in the Atlantic and Eastern Pacific Oceans.
They are formed when
- Ocean Temperatures > 26°C,
- Water Depth = 60-70m,
- Located between 5° and 30° north and south of the Equator,
- Season - Late Summer or Early Autumn
Tropical Storms cannot form more than 30° North or South of the equator, because the ocean temperature is not high enough, meaning the Coriolis force is not great enough.
1) Warm, moist, unstable air above the ocean rises which creates an area of low pressure below.
2) The surrounding cooler air is drawn into the area of low pressure, creating winds.