Mass Tourism Case Study: Kenya
Kenya is in East Africa and is a popular tourist destination. It gets over 700,000 visitors a year.
Why do tourists visit Kenya?
- It has a warm climate, with sunshine all the year round
- It has beautiful scenery - savannah, mountains, beaches, coral reefs.
- It has lots of wildlife including the 'big five' (rhino, lion, elephant, buffalo and leopard). Safaris are very popular. It has the best wildlife reserves in Africa.
- It has a fascinating tribal culture.
- It is comparatively prosperous compared to neighbouring countries like Somalia and Sudan.
Tourism has a big impact on Kenya.
- Economic: Tourism contributes 15% of the country's GDP (Gross National Product)
- Economic: Over 200,000 people work in tourism - it creates local jobs. Don't forget that it has a 'multipler effect' i.e…