- At the book's opening, Arthur Kipps is celebrating the holidays with his family at their cozy little cottage. This is off to a great start!
- But, when his stepchildren start to tell ghost stories, he gets a little strange and storms out.
- It turns out that Arthur has a story to tell:
- As a young man, he was sent to the town of Crythin Gifford to sort out the affairs of a deceased woman named Alice Drablow.
- It's a creepy town with a lot of unfriendly folks, especially this one spooky woman in black who shows up at Alice's funeral.
- Weird thing is, no one wants to talk about it.
- Also weird: Eel Marsh House, and how it's conveniently cut off by the tide at…
Similar English Literature resources: