Long(ish) Term Causes of WW2
- The Treaty of Versailles- caused huge amounts of resentment and anger in Germany (Hitler)
- The League of Nations- an organisation set up by the Allies to keep peace. However Germany wasn’t invited and no one obeyed the laws
- The Great Depression (1929-33)- world economic crisis caused by the Wall Street Crash. Countries were more concerned about their wellbeing than relationships with other countries.
- Hitler’s foreign policy aims- He wanted to increase size of Germany and planned to find this space in Austria, Czechoslovakia and RUSSIA
- Appeasement- Neville Chamberlain (British PM) allowed Hitler to ‘get away’ with aggressive Foreign Policy in order to avoid conflict
1 of 4
Short Term Causes of WW2
- Invasion of Czechoslovakia- Hitler had invaded part of Czechoslovakia in 1938 but promised not to invade any more. He broke his promise and invaded in 1939
- Nazi-Soviet Pact-Russia and Germany (Hitler and Stalin) this frightened Britain and France
- Invasion of Poland and War- Germany invaded Poland. 1st September 1939, Hitler expects Britain and France to appease him, but they have had enough! They declare war on and unprepared Hitler.
2 of 4
- The Blitz started in September 1940
- 'Blitzkreig'- meaning 'lightening war'
- Non stop bombing mainly centered around London but also other parts of England (Liverpool, Birmingham etc)
- Many civilians lives where lost
- Plane bombers attacked London
- Plan was to reduce morale but propaganda and the bombing of Berlin
- Bombing during day as well as night
3 of 4
- Anderson shelters
- Morrison shelters
- deep underground shelters (by tube stations)
4 of 4