Why and when was the Weimar Republic set up and wh
- Kaiser had abdicated and fled.
- Germany needed a new constituency to run the country.
- Ebert and elected members of the Constituent Assembly.
1 of 5
What did the Weimar Republic consist of?
- All over 20 could vote.
- President elected every 7 years.
- Article 48 - in case of emergency the President could rule the country with no majority support.
- Proportional representation
- State Governments
2 of 5
What were the main terms of the Treaty of Versaill
- All colonies given to Allied Powers
- Army not to exceed 100,000 men
- Reparantions of £6.6 billion
- Saar to be administrated by the League of Nations (coal mined by France)
- Not allowed into the League of Nations.
3 of 5
Why were Germany hopeful of good reparations?
- Kaiser had fled - new democratic system.
- The Republic needed support; they assumed the Allies would want to help them give their government a chance.
- President Wilson declared the 'Fourteen Points' which was a fair treaty, and they were lead to believe this is what it was to be based on.
- They were not solely to blame
4 of 5
What was the reaction of the German people? (keywo
- Dolchstoss - people felt the politicians had stabbed the army in the back.
- People were shamed and humiliated of the harsh terms imposed on them.
- Diktat - TOV was a dictated peace.
- November Criminals - politicians who signed
5 of 5