Purpose of Marriage
- Procreation - men and women were created to have children.
- Union - a loving partnership of living together.
- Rearing Children - channel for nature and security
- Pattern for security - family unit of mutual support
- One flesh - sexual intimacy as an expression of love
- Sacred - blessed by God
- Endless - life long faithful relationship
- Entry - the bride, her father and her bridesmaids go to the front of the church.
- Hymn - focus the mind on God
- Opening Statement - summary of what the marriage is for.
- Declaration - the witnesses and the couple ask if there is any reason the couple cannot get married.
- Vows - the couple makes promises to God and to each other in the presence of witnesses.
- Rings - a symbol of unbroken unity of the couple's love, trust, and devotion.
- Proclamation - the couple is now husband and wife. the kiss symbolizes the first time that these bodies are united.
- Prayers - for the couple are said.
- Register - signed by the couple and witnesses. marriage is a legally binding contract.
- Closing - often followed by photos and a reception.
Alternatives to Marriage
- Cohabitation - a couple living together and having a sexual relationship without being married to one another.
- Civil Partnership - legal registration and recognition of a same-sex partnership.
Reasons for Divorce
Divorce - legal ending of a marriage
- Physical/verbal abuse --> lead to mental illness
- Work --> can't communicate/bond
- Financial Problems --> causes stress
- Sexual Problems --> might cause issues in marriage
- Constant arguments --> always tension
- Children --> how to raise children
- Lack of Communication --> awkward between the couple
Prejudice and Discrimination
Prejudice - unfairly judging someone before the facts are known. holding biased opinions about an individual group.
Discrimination - to act against someone on the basis of sex, race, religion, etc. usually seen as wrong.
- heterosexual family
Types of Prejudice and Discrimination
Ageism - an old person can be seen as: slow and deaf/stupid. "wisdom is with the aged and understanding in length of days."
Disabilities - it is against the law to discriminate against disabled in various areas of their lives.