Establishment of Republic
What was the reason for the emergence of radical sects?
- Mostly due to fact that there was freedom of press after 1641
- Star Chamber abolished in 1641
- pamphlets were produce= SIGNIFICANT
- Pamphlet= quick to write & print AND very easy to distribute
- Pamphlets could be read out to people and therefore there was a bigger audience.
1 of 5
Levellers- who they were & what they thought
- Levellers= people who wanted LIBERTY
- Wanted to get rid of House of Commons
- Dow identifies 3 reasons why Levellers joined:
- people's grievance- whether long or short term
- intellectual heritage of leaders- ideas of Calvinist Puritanism and the ideas of natural law & traditions of English law
- personal experiences of Leveller leaders- eg. 'Free-born' John Lilburne
2 of 5
- Army leaders as unsympathetic to Leveller agruments as MPs
- Leveller's best allies= Army Agitators
- In summer of 1647 were chosen by soldiers
- Important links were made between L. & Ag.
- They attacked army officers and called for political & social reform
- In 6 months, Levellers went from margins of politics to centre.
3 of 5
Diggers ("True Levellers")
- Earliest group to emerge
- Led by GERRARD WINSTANLEY- he believed freedom and social equality can from common ownership of propert. Denounced private property.
- DIFFERNT FROM LEVELLERS becaue:
- Levellers wanted liberation not equality
- DIggers wanted social & economical equality
- More religiously driven that Levellers- Levellers acted on experience and grievances
4 of 5
Why did radical groups emerge?
- Different ideas going around- they were changing & shifting
- More printing presses
- A vacuum- structural/ hierarchical vacuum
- Opportunity- God had created a possibility for them to act
- People were changing ideas
- More ordinary people became involved in politics
5 of 5