- First words are at approx. 12mths
- Will already have undergone phonemic contraction.
- Initially will use proto-words - an invented word used with a cnsistent meaning, effective with those close to the child, but less effective with other (forcing the child to learn the language in order to communicate)
- Need to learnt the semantics at the same time.
- Holophrases - single words expressing a whole idea - develop alongside or after proto-words.
1 of 4
Rate of Lexical Development
- 12mths - 50 words
- 24 mths - 200 words
- 36 mths - 2000 words
2 of 4
- Largely contains 'content words' - words which have an independent dictionary definition.
- 'Function words' will develop later - words which express a grammatical relationship. They are more complex for a child to understand and use correctly.
3 of 4
Katherine Nelson 1973
- Identified 4 categories for first words.
- Nouns (for things or people) 60%
- Describing/modifying things
- Personal/social words 8%
4 of 4